Saturday, June 6, 2020

A Water Hose and a box of Tide laundry detergent

Let's see, where did I leave off last time when reliving my childhood memories?  Oh, yeah,  I was saying that in front of the electric fan was the best (and coolest) place to dry my just-shampooed hair.  (I was probably a teenager before I got my first blow dryer.  It was baby-blue and I loved it!)

And speaking of haircare:  My favorite summer shampoo sessions were outside - with the water hose and a box of Tide laundry detergent.  My hair was (and still is) thick, thick, but fine, fine.  So it pretty much just sheds water instead of it soaking through to my scalp like "normal" hair does, or at least I assume it does.

Our only bathroom had a toilet, a sink, and a bathtub.  No shower.  So shampooing, especially the rinsing, my hair was quite a challenge.  The problem was solved in the summer though.  I would go outside with my towel and whichever shampoo/cleanser I felt like using that day.  I would turn on the faucet and a cold, cold blast of water applied to my head from that green hose was sure to bring down the heat index by at least 15 degrees!

The hose helped me direct the stream of water all the way to my scalp like I could never do in our bathroom sink.  Then, I would lather up; sometimes with Tide detergent (no joke), sometimes with dish detergent (usually lemon-scented JOY), or sometimes the boring normal shampoo for normal hair.

Lather...lather...rinse...rinse...  Squeaky-clean hair.  We never had cream rinse (conditioner nowadays) to follow up with. It makes me cringe now to think of those "harsh" cleaning products in my hair, but I always had shiny, healthy hair as a kid. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I used to wash my hair the same way in the summer but with shampoo always and dressed in my swimsuit.
    I remember before there was hair conditioner that you apply directly to the hair, let it sit, and rinse out, there was cream rinse that would be mixed in a glass of water and poured over the hair. Were they the same thing and they simply changed from diluting it to a watery consistency to direct use of the thick product?
    We only had a tub, too, so I used to wash my hair in the bathroom sink which was a pain. I wised up and started shampooing while I bathed. I would dunk under the water, shampoo, dunk back under and swish around to rinse my hair, and then continue with bathing.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you're leaving me a comment! ~ Sherry