Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Project of the Day

I found this 80's plastic framed mirror at the thrift store Saturday.  I loved its detail and could just picture it repainted and hanging on my foyer wall.  So I paid the $4.99 minus the 15% discount and happily carted it away.  I stopped by Wal Mart on my way home for some Krylon Ivory spray paint..





After taping up the mirror real well (or so I thought), I gave her two coats of paint and  let it dry for several hours.  Overnight would be even better. 



Then I used what must be the best kept secret of do-it-yourselfers, Rub 'n Buff.  I bought it at Hobby Lobby.  I love the rich looking results I get and it is so easy to use! You just rub it on with your finger and then buff it with a soft cloth.  The more you buff it, the shinier it will be. I used it on this mirror makeover too.


Before Rub 'n Buff

After

Before Rub 'n Buff

After




She now hangs ever so proudly on my foyer wall.


Don't forget to come back tomorrow as I continue my "Finish Up My Projects Week."

This post linked to: 
Pretty in Paint
The DIY Show Off

15 comments:

  1. omgosh i Love this!!
    I will have to get this new product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry,
    Your mirror looks wonderful; great job! I've been doing some painting around here too; a scrolly pediment, plate hanger, and small side table. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to do my mirror in the living room which is gold and very ornate. Love white! Have a lovely evening.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, this turned out great-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't paint wonderful....looks new. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I have never heard of rub and buff, and I love Hobby Lobby. I will have to look for that the next time I go. Your make over is magical. What a difference, Char

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic proyect! So pretty mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! And you did a great job with the rub n buff too, that stuff was tricky for me to figure out. I don't think I was patient enough to do a little at a time and attacked my whole project at once. Can't wait to see more from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. White does the trick-it sure looks different!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks absolutely beautiful, bravo:))
    Greetings from Europe, Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! I love how "in" white is now. It sure transforms out-dated stuff. Thanks for the tip with the Rub n Buff too. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! It came out beautiful!!! Love the rub and buff- how have I not heard of that stuff before? Definitely have to try it!! Thanks for the tip! Nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the mirror it looks fantastic.My hallway is filled with all my mirrors that i painted.You did a great job.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Rub 'n Buff too and have used it several times on recent projects.

    That mirror was rather ugly in the before version. Hard to believe it could be as pretty as you made it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you're leaving me a comment! ~ Sherry